Transformation in Film (a seminary project)

For one of my classes this semester I was asked to do a project that helps lead people in transformation. I love movies, and I believe there are some incredibly transforming moments in film. So for my project I chose to write reflection questions for a few of the films that have been most influential in my life. I would like to invite you to participate with me in this project.

There are three movies involved in this reflection, Unbreakable, The Incredibles, and Braveheart. The intention is for them to work together. Ideally you would watch and engage in all three of the movies and reviews over the next couple weeks, but if you are crunched for time you could certainly engage in one or two of the films. You can do it alone or as a group, but however you do it engage with your whole heart. When you have finished, please leave a response on the blog. This will allow me to use your responses as a part of the project. If you are nervous about putting yourself out there, you can leave an anonymous response.

I pray that the Father will meet with you as you engage, and that you will experience his presence more and more as he transforms and fills your life with his love.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Unbreakable

“Purpose is what gives life meaning.” –Charles H. Perkhurst

-Watch Unbreakable. Pay attention to the emotional state of David. Early in the movie he says that he wakes up in the morning feeling sad. Watch for the reason for David’s sadness and how he changes during the movie.

1. What do you think is the reason for David’s sadness?

2. What changes for David during the film? Ultimately, what makes the sadness go away?

-I’m sure your answers to these questions are the same as mine (and probably better), but let me state my opinion for the sake of us all being on the same page. I think David experiences this sadness because of a profound lack of meaning in his life. Watch the deleted scene where David speaks to the priest. It’s no wonder that M. Night Shyamalan says this was the first scene he got right. It completely encapsulates David’s defining characteristic in the film, his search for meaning. David’s journey in the film is one of discovering and embracing his purpose. It is this journey that ultimately chases away the sadness.

3. Can you relate to David on any level? Do you have an unmet longing for meaning in your life, or have you discovered and embraced the unique purpose God created you for?

-If you have an understanding of the purpose God created you for, spend some time right now thanking God for that purpose. Thank God that you have been created for a purpose and he has revealed that that to you.

-If you identify with David’s and his sadness, take a moment right now and read Psalm 139. You might be very familiar with it. But try to read it with new eyes, with a fresh perspective.

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

-God knit you together; he formed you with a purpose and intention. As my Dad likes to say, “God don’t make no junk.” Spend some time praying now. Ask God to tell you or show you the purpose for which he created you. Ask him to point out the unique gifts he’s given you, the passions that bring you to life. Listen and watch for his response. Listen for his voice. Watch with expectation for his answer to your prayer.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete